crustaceous!

I want to get back into the shirt design business so here’s something easy that I’ve been working on to get me started

I did also try playing around with this idea, but after fiddling with it for ages I just couldn’t turn it into a nice looking t-shirt:

The cute anthropomorphic brain is entirely optional.

What do you think? Likee? Hatee?

35 thoughts on “crustaceous!

1. odontomachus

The contempt avatar is sublime. The Kit is too, but I’m not sure about the anthropomorphic brain – to me it adds a little too much weirdness to the situation and distracts from the rest. Really, that should be gracing a REAL “My First Neurosurgery Kit” rather than the chests of the faithful, but the Malpractice Commission looked at me extremely nastily when I enquired on behalf of my school’s Young Enterprise.

1. eruditebaboon Post author

Yeah – I agree the brain is a step too far, but while I was drawing it my hand involuntarily added a little hat and bow tie to it. It’s an automatic reaction with me now.

1. Anonymous

I’m going to vote for the hat and tie as well. It was the last thing I noticed on the photo, after I thought I’d taken it all in. It was a pleasant little surprise that only added to the pleasure. Like after eating a tasty/dodgy kebab… you think it’s all done, then you belch and it’s like you get to experience all over again!

1. Anonymous

brain

the happy little brain man makes it yours. without it, the shirt wouldn’t really have the stamp of it’s creator, which would be a bad thing in my opinion.

2. Anonymous

lobster of contempt!

oh my gosh i’ve never bought a shirt from a webcomic, but please please make the lobster of contempt shirt. but maybe label him? in an esoteric, quote-y kind of way? that was one of my favorite strips ever..
    -Hayley-
    lobster of contempt enthusiast

3. Anonymous

haha

I love the neurossurgery one. I would order that instantly. Loose the living brain.

What WOULD be cool is taking the guy with the pipe totally out of the context, just printing him alone on a shirt. With the living brain, saying lets play. So without any reference to the kid with the kit. That would be funny as well.

Also, I would like to see the DENTISTS ARE OUR FRIENDS shirt you suggested in the ghost tooth story arch. 🙂

4. hey_friend

YES. I love the anthropomorphic brain. If you went for the full design, it would lose it’s charm without the brain.

Also I had an idea for you James; zip hoodie with the turnip. You’re welcome.

– Holly

5. kaedric

I say yes to the brain. I think it really makes the picture, even with the hat and bowtie.

Having a hat and bowtie reflex must be a very strange sensation.

Also, I think I’d buy a Lobster of Contempt shirt. I think I’d take great pleasure in wearing something so utterly contemptuous and superior.

~Wolfie

6. halcyonmuse

I also vote yes on the anthropomorphic brain. XD Also I love the background of your LJ, it’s realllly cute.

This is exciting as I have a good deal of Beaver and Steve icons. =)

7. Anonymous

You should totally keep the lobster of contampt, but it needs to say “Lobster of contempt”. Also, he could have the turnip above him to the left and Steve below him to the right, but thats just an idea. 😛

8. Anonymous

Yay for my first neurosurgery kit!

This is a great idea for a shirt, but I prefer something similar to the original panel of the comic it came from. I mentioned it in a thread on the bulletin board after the comic came out but now I’ve mocked up a picture of how I think it should look (please pardon my colouring skills – I took all of 5 minutes to alter the colours)

I know it’s less detailed than the image you suggested, though steve looks so cute holding the box 😀

What do people think – I’d buy it!

1. Anonymous

Re: Yay for my first neurosurgery kit!

Oops – mildly odd formatting in the post above. Also noticed I didn’t correctly colour the pipe/arms/scalpel.

Just to clarify – it would be a yellow tshirt (yeah not my favourite colour either but it screams look at my cool new beaver and steve tshirt), with white, black and green print. That makes the arms yellow, pipe black, scalpel white, mouths yellow (or maybe black) – woo this is just like painting by numbers!

9. annettle

Hello! I really like Beaver and Steve, I am glad to see you on LiveJournal – I hope it’s OK I added you to my friends list 🙂

P.S. I’m not sure it would work for a shirt, but I love the little brain! Whee!

10. Anonymous

Neuroscience!

I’d love to buy my cousin the neurosurgery kit image on a T-shirt or lunchbox or something, She’s in her 20’s and a Doctor of Neuroscientisty type stuff! so maybe a Baby/Fitted T-shirt or something?

11. Anonymous

I would definately buy the first one, but if the second one was on a t-shirt you would have to get rid of something because it would take up too much space on the t-shirt and I wouldn’t want people with their face in my shirt trying to see what the tiny jumble of lines were.

1. Anonymous

I agree that it would be a little jumbled, but the design works so well. Someone suggested a lunchbox. I vote for that.

12. ralphmyhippie

I ADORE the neurosurgery t-shirt. in fact, I know about 5 people not including myself who would buy one, just based on the fact it has to do with the brain!

in my opinion, the anthropomorphic brain could stay, or be replaced with a lethargic, non-anthropomorphic brain. but I love all of the text! and the drawing itself is amazing!